Key Set Entry
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
The Art Institute of Chicago, 1949.709 (inscribed: 1915)
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 84.XM.1038.6 (inscribed: To a friend of 291—Dr. Rasay)
The Museum of Modern Art, New York, 631.1941 (inscribed: Out of the Window—“291” / New York—April 2, 1915 / Alfred Stieglitz)
The Bluff Collection (inscribed: Out of Window—291—N.Y. / Alfred Stieglitz / 1915)
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
1921, New York (no. 51, as Snow-Covered Tree, Back-Yard, 1915, from the series “From the Back-Window—291”)
A reproduction of this work appeared in the following publication(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
“Speaking of Pictures . . . These are by one of Photography’s Pioneers,” Life 14:14 (5 April 1943): 7 (ill., untitled, 1915)
by Alfred Stieglitz, on mount, center verso, in graphite: 1915 / April
by later hand, on mount, lower left verso, in graphite: 12 - C
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- A Subtle Beauty: Platinum Photographs from the Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2014–2015
- Bry, Doris. Exhibition of Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1958: pl. 3.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 45.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 421.