Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
The tall building in the background is 105 Madison Avenue, at the southeast corner of Madison and 30th Street. The shorter building with the advertisements on its side is 112 Madison Avenue, at the southwest corner of Madison and 30th Street.
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 24.1738 (inscribed: From the Back Window of / “291”—New York—1915. / Photograph by / Alfred Stieglitz. / Negative & Print / made by Alfred Stieglitz / Print no. 3 made from this / negative.)
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
Williams College Museum of Art, Williamstown, Massachusetts, 68.16
Private collection, San Francisco (inscribed: Alfred Stieglitz / From the Back Window, 291—N.Y., Winter—1915 / To Mr. & Mrs. Chas. J. Liebman—Alfred Stieglitz)
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
by Georgia O'Keeffe, on mount, bottom left verso, in graphite: 90D
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- The Art of Photography, The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; Royal Academy of Arts, London, 1989
- A Subtle Beauty: Platinum Photographs from the Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2014–2015
- Bry, Doris. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographer. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1965: pl. 11.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 46, pl. 21.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 417.