Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
The Art Institute of Chicago, 1949.720
Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library, Yale University, New Haven, YCAL MSS 85, box 124, folder 2481
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 24.1720 (inscribed: Portrait—Dorothy T. / Photograph by / Alfred Stieglitz / New York / negative & print / made in New York. / by Alfred Stieglitz / 1919 / Print 3 from this negative)
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 28.126
Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1949-18-65
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
The Bluff Collection
The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 91.XM.63.1
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
1921, New York (nos. 98–100, as Dorothy True, 1920)
1923, New York (no. 62, as Dorothy True, 1919)
1926, Brooklyn (no. 285, as American Girl, 1919)
1930, Cambridge (no. 112, as Portrait of Dorothy T., 1919)
A reproduction of this work appeared in the following publication(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
“Watch Your Step!” New York Dada (April 1921) (ill., untitled)
Waldo Frank et al., America & Alfred Stieglitz (New York, 1934): pl. 29b (ill., Portrait—Dorothy True, 1919)
“Speaking of Pictures . . . These are by one of Photography’s Pioneers,” Life 14:14 (5 April 1943): 7 (ill., Dorothy True, 1918)
by Doris Bry, on mount, lower left verso, in graphite: 40-D / 40-D
by later hand, on mount, center verso, in graphite: 6
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Making Mischief: Dada Invades New York, Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, November 21, 1996–February 23, 1997
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2001
- Alfred Stieglitz: Known and Unknown, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, June 2–September 2, 2002; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, October 6, 2002–January 5, 2003
- Dada, Musée National d'Art Moderne, Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris, 2005–2006
- Engelhard, Georgia. "The Face of Alfred Stieglitz." Popular Photography 19 (September 1946): 53.
- Bry, Doris. Exhibition of Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1958: pl. 10.
- Bry, Doris. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographer. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1965: pl. 29.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 64.
- Naumann, Francis M. Making Mischief: Dada Invades New York. Exh. cat. Whitney Museum of American Art, New York, 1996: 145.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 99.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 604.