Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
“I have been working away at the prints of you. Nearly daily something. I mount & rip off. One is most obstreperous.—I can’t make it do what I feel.—In about four weeks I may show at the Anderson Galleries.—I have a very unusual series of things.—A group of clouds to anchor my reality—anchor the ‘portraits’—I wonder would you mind my ‘showing’ some of you in case the event should materialize. I—we—wonder often about you. When I look at the hands I wonder what are they to-day?” (Stieglitz to Helen Freeman, 14 January 1923 [Sotheby’s, auction catalogue, 17 April 1991, lot 123A]).
For more information about this photograph, see Key Set number 711.
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 24.1729 (inscribed: Hands—Helen Freeman / Photograph made by / Alfred Stieglitz / New York / Negative & print / made in New York / by Alfred Stieglitz / 1922 / Print 2 from this negative)
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
New York Public Library, Mitchell Kennerley Papers
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
by Alfred Stieglitz, center verso, in graphite: R A
by Georgia O'Keeffe, on mount, lower left, in graphite: Treated by Steichen 1949
by later hand, center verso, in graphite: K / 81 C; on mount, lower left verso: 81 C
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2001
- Alfred Stieglitz: Known and Unknown, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, June 2–September 2, 2002; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, October 6, 2002–January 5, 2003
- Alfred Stieglitz: The Lake George Years, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2010
- Bry, Doris. Exhibition of Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1958: no. 75.
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 66.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 119.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 716.
- Annear, Judy, ed. Alfred Stieglitz: The Lake George Years. Exh. cat. Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2010.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: