Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
“I remember once when I was fourteen years old sitting on the very edge of a cottage window, bending over with an armful of apples clutched to my bosom as if I were just about to leap down. At best a difficult pose to hold even for a few minutes, but I had to do this for more than an hour with no respite until Stieglitz was satisfied that the light was right, that my pose and expression were right, in other words until all conditions were perfect” (Georgia Engelhard, “Alfred Stieglitz: Master Photographer,” American Photography 39:4 [April 1945], 9).
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
The Art Institute of Chicago, 1949.716
by Doris Bry, on mount, lower left, in graphite: Treated by Steichen - 6/50
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Alfred Stieglitz: The Lake George Years, Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2010
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 106, pl. 50.
- Paulson, Ronald. Figure and Abstraction in Contemporary Painting. New Brunswick and London, 1990: repro. 145.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 638.
- Annear, Judy, ed. Alfred Stieglitz: The Lake George Years. Exh. cat. Art Gallery of New South Wales, Sydney, 2010.