Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
Stieglitz wrote to Waldo Frank several times regarding this photograph and others made in the summer of 1920: “I am mounting the summer’s work—Your portrait is really fine & was mounted this morning” (15 December 1920 [YCAL]). “I have been trying to get a complete expression of your ‘Apple Portrait.’—And invariably I miss it” (8 August 1921 [YCAL]).
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
The Art Institute of Chicago, 1949.722
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, 28.128.2
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
Waldo Frank Papers, Kislak Center for Special Collections, Rare Books and Manuscripts, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
by Georgia O'Keeffe, on mount, lower left, in graphite: Treated by Steichen 1949
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2001
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 101, pl. 49.
- Lowe, Sue Davidson. "Taken Lightly." Art & Antiques (Summer 1990): repro. 109.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 95.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 1, cat. 643.