Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
“I will try to come for O’K’s first day—the 29th—it is my Mother’s birthday.—Perhaps you can do my hands then.—That will be wonderful if you would.—It, if you wish to do them, would, I feel, be well to do them soon, for in the language of the moment: Every day they grow thinner & thinner. Good luck for the show, & love. Will see you when in town, at Anderson, or will call you if I don’t find you there, as soon as I get in, so we can arrange about photo of hands.” Charles Demuth to Stieglitz, 29 January 1923 (YCAL).
For more information about this photograph, see Key Set number 842.
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
by Doris Bry, on mount, lower left, in graphite: Treated by Steichen 6/50; lower left verso: 85 D
by later hand, on mount, lower right verso, in graphite: 057
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Alfred Stieglitz: Known and Unknown, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, June 2–September 2, 2002; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, October 6, 2002–January 5, 2003
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 69.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 2, cat. 844.