Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
The snowstorm pictured here and in Key Set numbers
Stieglitz wrote to Rebecca Strand on 26 November 1923, “Well, there has been a blizzard. Knee high snow. Maddeningly beautiful. Georgia had a great time in it.—And I with camera large & tiny was at it.—” (YCAL). A few days later he wrote to Sherwood Anderson, “On Sunday we had a day of days—a blizzard—snow knee high. And you should have seen how we enjoyed it. All day out of doors. I photographing like possessed. O’Keeffe wandering about in the woods—& rushing down to the Lake—All awonder & we marched ourselves to the post office & enjoyed everything—every step—Beauty everywhere—Nothing but Beauty—” (28 November 1923, YCAL and Newberry Library).
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
1924, New York (no. 49, as First Snow and the Little House, 1923)
by Georgia O'Keeffe, on mount, lower left verso, in graphite: 95A
by later hands, on mount, upper left verso, in graphite, in square: 1; lower right verso: 090
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, March 16–April 27, 1958
- Photographs by Alfred Stieglitz, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, February 3–May 8, 1983; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, June 17–August 14, 1983; The Art Institute of Chicago, October 18, 1983–January 3, 1984
- Alfred Stieglitz at Lake George, Museum of Modern Art, New York, September 14, 1995–January 2, 1996
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, 2001
- Greenough, Sarah, and Juan Hamilton. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographs and Writings. Washington, 1983: no. 110, pl. 53.
- Modern Art and America: Alfred Stieglitz and His New York Galleries. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2001: no. 92.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 2, cat. 863.