Key Set Entry
Related Key Set Photographs
A corresponding print was given to the following institution(s) by Alfred Stieglitz during his lifetime, or was received or acquired from the estate:
Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 24.1733.2 (inscribed: Song of the Sky / [in five pictures] / no. 2 / Photograph by / Alfred Stieglitz / New York / Negative & Print / made at Lake George, N.Y. / by Alfred Stieglitz / Print 2 from this negative 1923)
A print corresponding with this photograph can also be found in the following collection(s):
The Ackland Art Museum, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 80.32.1 (inscribed: TOP / For Beckalina)
The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles, 91.XM.63.12 (inscribed: Top / Keep Clean / Songs of the Sky No. 5 / by Alfred Stieglitz; Return to above / c/o George F. Of / 274 Madison Avenue)
National Gallery of Australia, Canberra, 83.237 (oriented 180° and inscribed: For Beckalina [crossed out] / For Toomer)
Yale University Art Gallery, New Haven, 2016.101.257, 2018.84.6, 2018.84.7
A print from the same negative—perhaps a photograph from the Gallery’s collection—appeared in the following exhibition(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
probably 1924, New York (no. 22, as Portrait—G.O.)
A reproduction of this work appeared in the following publication(s) during Alfred Stieglitz’s lifetime:
Robert Marks, “Man with a Cause,” Coronet 4 (September 1938): 170 (ill., Equivalent, 1924)
by Alfred Stieglitz, on mount, lower left verso, in graphite: Portrait of Georgia / No. 3 / 1923
by Doris Bry, on mount, lower right verso, in graphite: 163-A
by later hand, on mount, upper right verso, in graphite: 0.37
Georgia O'Keeffe; gift to NGA, 1949.
Associated NamesO'Keeffe, Georgia
- Two Lives: Georgia O’Keeffe and Alfred Stieglitz—A Conversation in Painting and Photographs, The Phillips Collection, Washington, DC, December 2, 1992–April 4, 1993; IBM Gallery of Science and Art, New York, April 27–June 26, 1993; The Minneapolis Institute of Arts, July 17–September 12, 1993; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, October 2–December 5, 1993
- Alfred Stieglitz: Known and Unknown, National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC, June 2–September 2, 2002; The Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, October 6, 2002–January 5, 2003
- Bry, Doris. Alfred Stieglitz: Photographer. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1965: pl. 40.
- Arrowsmith, Alexandra, Thomas West, and Belinda Rathbone. Two Lives: A Conversation in Paintings and Photographs. Exh. cat. The Phillips Collection, Washington and New York, 1992: 46.
- Greenough, Sarah. Alfred Stieglitz: The Key Set: The Alfred Stieglitz Collection of Photographs. Washington, 2002: vol. 2, cat. 922.