lower center on parapet: . IOANNES.BELLINVS . ; lower left, an inventory number: 98; lower right, an inventory number: 44
The early history of the painting is unknown. Baron Alfred Charles de Rothschild [1842-1918], London and Halton House, near Wendover, Buckinghamshire; by inheritance to his daughter, Almina Victoria Marie Alexandra, Countess of Carnarvon [c. 1877-1969], London; (her sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 22 May 1925, no. 50); purchased by (P. & D. Colnaghi & Co., London and New York), on joint account with (M. Knoedler & Co., London and New York); sold 1926 to Thornton Realty Co., New York. Mrs. J. Horace Harding [née Dorothea Barney, 1871-1935], New York, by 1929. (Simmons, New York); sold 1937 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Primitives, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1929, no. 3, as Portrait of a Gentleman.
- Fifteenth Century Portraits, M. Knoedler & Co., New York, 1935, no. 6, repro., as Portrait of a Gentleman.
- Albrecht Dürer: His Art in Context, Städel Museum, Frankfurt, 2013-2014, no. 6.8, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 21, no. 365.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 247, repro. 70.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 141, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 11.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 5, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 41, fig. 97.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 20, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 40, repro.
- Kopper, Philip. America's National Gallery of Art: A Gift to the Nation. New York, 1991: 183, color repro.
- Tempestini, Anchise. Giovanni Bellini: catalogo complete dei dipinti. Florence, 1992: 205, no. 72, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, and David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 2003: 67-69, color repro.
- Giovanni Bellini. Exh. cat. by Mauro Lucco and Giovanni Carlo Federico Villa. Scuderie del Quirinale, Rome, 2008-2009. Milan, 2008: 81, 240.