upper center on plaque: TVRPIVS / IMPER / VENERE / .Q. A. / MIS AI
Probably commissioned by Francesco Cornaro, Palazzo Corner-Mocenigo a San Polo, Venice. Sir John Charles Robinson [1824-1913], London; sold 1873 to Sir Francis Cook, 1st Bt. [1817-1901], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey; by inheritance to his son, Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd Bt. [1844-1920], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd Bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th Bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House, and Cothay Manor, Somerset; sold February 1948 to (Gualtiero Volterra, London) for (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi, Florence); sold March 1949 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
- Bellini, Giorgione, Titian, and the Renaissance of Venetian Painting, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; Kunsthistorisches Museum, Vienna, 2006-2007, no. 28, repro., as The Continence of Publius Cornelius Scipio.
- Giovanni Bellini, Scuderie del Quirinale, Rome, 2008-2009, no. 54, repro.
- Antico: The Golden Age of Renaissance Bronzes, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; The Frick Collection, New York, 2011-2012, not in catalogue (shown only in Washington).
- Mantegna and Bellini, The National Gallery, London; Gemäldegalerie, Staatliche Museen zu Berlin, 2018-2019.
- Brockwell, Maurice W. Abridged Catalogue of the Pictures at Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey, in the Collection of Sir Herbert Cook. London, 1932: no. 133.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 82, no. 30, repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. "Interpreting Masterpieces: Twenty-four Paintings from the Kress Collection." Art News Annual 16 (1952): 92-97, repro. 93
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 144, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 12.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 5, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 42, fig. 99.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 22, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: 1:52-54; 2:pl. 29.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 42, repro.
- Tempestini, Anchise. Giovanni Bellini: catalogo complete dei dipinti. Florence, 1992: 265-267, no. 94, color repro.
- Turner, Nicholas. The Study of Italian Drawings: The Contribution of Philip Pouncey. Exh. cat. British Museum, London, 1994: no. 21.
- Santucci, Paola. Su Andrea Mantegna. Naples, 2004: 212.
- Bacchi, Andrea and Luciana Giacomelli, eds Rinascimento e passione per l'antico: Andrea Riccio e il suo tempo. Exh. cat. Castello di Buonconsiglio. Trento, 2008: 476.
- Christiansen, Keith. "Facts and Love: The Tender Power of Giovanni Bellini." The New Republic 240, no. 6 (April 15, 2009): 29.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: