Sir Robert Walpole, 1st earl of Orford [1676- 1745], Dressing Room of 10 Downing Street, London, by 1736; by inheritance to his son, Horace Walpole, 4th earl of Oxford and 2nd baron Walpole [1717-1797], Strawberry Hill, Twickenham, Middlesex; by inheritance to the daughter of his cousin Henry Seymour Conway, Mrs. Anne Seymour Damer [d. 1828], Strawberry Hill, who in 1811, as directed by terms of the 4th Earl's will, turned the estate over to his niece, Maria, Dowager Countess of Waldegrave [d. 1835], Strawberry Hill; by inheritance to her grandson, John James Waldegrave, 6th earl of Waldegrave [1785-1835], Strawberry Hill; by inheritance to his son, George Edward Waldegrave, 7th earl of Waldegrave [1816-1846], Strawberry Hill; (Strawberry Hill sale, at the residence by George Robins, Twickenham, 25 April - 24 May 1842, 21st day [18 May 1842], no. 46, as The Education of Jupiter); Sir John Easthope, bt. [1784-1865], London. Mrs. Doyle. Major Cecil Uvedale Corbett [1880-1944], Stableford Hall, Stableford, near Bridgnorth, Shropshire; presumably by inheritance to his son, Lt.-Col. Uvedale Corbett [1909-2005], Shobdon, near Leominster, Herefordshire; (C. Marshall Spink, London); sold 1947 to (Wildenstein and Co., Inc., Paris, New York, and London); sold 1947 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
Associated NamesCorbett, Cecil Uvedale, Major
Corbett, Uvedale, Major
Damer, Anne Seymour
Easthope, Bart., John, Sir
Kress Foundation, Samuel H.
Spink, C. Marshall
Waldegrave, George Edward Waldegrave, 7th Earl of
Waldegrave, John James Waldegrave, 6th Earl of
Waldegrave, Maria, Dowager Countess of
Walpole, 1st Earl of Orford, Robert, Sir
Walpole, 4th Earl of Orford, Horace
Wildenstein & Co., Inc.
- France in the Golden Age: Seventeenth-Century French Paintings in American Collections, Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris; The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Art Institute of Chicago, 1982, no. 92, repro., as The Nurture of Jupiter.
- Horace Walpole's Strawberry Hill, Yale Center for British Art, New Haven; Victoria and Albert Museum, London, 2009-2010, no. 150, fig. 75, as The Feeding of the Child Jupiter.
- Houghton Hall: Portrait of an English Country House, Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; California Palace of the Legion of Honor, The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco; Frist Center for the Visual Arts, Nashville, 2014-2015, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 216, no. 96, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 337, repro.
- The National Gallery of Art and Its Collections. Foreword by Perry B. Cott and notes by Otto Stelzer. National Gallery of Art, Washington (undated, 1960s): 24, repro. 25.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 105.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 92, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 274, repro.
- Eisler, Colin. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools Excluding Italian. Oxford, 1977: 280-282, fig. 252, as The Nurture of Jupiter.
- Pope-Hennessy, John. "Completing the Account." Review of Colin Eisler, Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection, London 1977. Times Literary Supplement no. 3927 (17 June 1977).
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 317, no. 416, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 318, repro.
- The Arts of France from François Ier to Napoléon Ier. A Centennial Celebration of Wildenstein's Presence in New York. Exh. cat. Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York, 2005: 78 (not in the exhibition).
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 85, 396-402, color repro.