on plaque, on back, screwed to base: BACCHANTE / Provenant de la Propriete / de Madame ELISABETH / Soeur du Roi Louis XVI / a VERSAILLES
Possibly Madame Elizabeth de France, Palais de Montreuil, Versailles. Possibly Richard Seymour-Conway, 4th marquess of Hertford [1800-1870], London and Paris; possibly his illegitimate son, Sir Richard Wallace [1818-1890], London and Paris; possibly his wife, Amélie-Julie-Charlotte Castelnau, Lady Wallace [1819-1897], Paris and London; possibly her adviser and secretary, Sir John Murray Scott [1847-1912], London and Paris. Charles T. Yerkes, Jr. [1837-1905], Chicago and New York, by 1904. (his estate sale, American Art Association, at the Yerkes New York residence, 11-13 April 1910, 2nd day, no. 249, as by Falconet); Samuel J. Untermyer [1858-1940], Yonkers, New York; (his estate sale, Parke Bernet, New York, 15-17 May 1940, no. 973, as by Clodion). (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 1949 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to NGA.
Associated NamesDuveen Brothers, Inc.
France, Elizabeth de, Mme.
Kress Foundation, Samuel H.
Parke-Bernet Galleries, Inc.
Scott, John Murray, Sir
Seymour-Conway, 4th marquess of Hertford, Richard
Untermyer, Samuel J.
Wallace, 1st bt., Richard, Sir
Wallace, Amélie-Julie- Charlotte Castelnau, Lady
Yerkes, Charles T., Jr.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1945-1951. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 266, no. 120, repro., as A Bacchante with Cluster of Grapes in Left Hand by Clodion.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 456, repro., as by Clodion.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 149.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 131, repro., as by Clodion.
- Middeldorf, Ulrich. Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools XIV-XIX Century. London, 1976: 112.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 94, repro.
- Norman Herz, Katherine A. Holbrow and Shelley G. Sturman. "Marble Sculture in the National Gallery of Art: a Provenance Study." In Max Schvoerer, ed. Archéomatériaux: marbres et autres roches: ASMOSIA IV, Bordeaux, France 9-13 october 1995: actes de la IVème Conférence international de l’Association pour l’étude des marbres et autres roches utilizes dans le passé. Talence, 1999: 101-110.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: