upper left: Gari Melchers / Washington. 1930
The sitter, Andrew W. Mellon [1855-1937], Pittsburgh and Washington, D.C.; gift to his attorney, Donald D. Shepard [1893-1966], Washington, D.C.; gift 1953 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of American Portraits by Contemporary American Artists, American Art Association, Anderson Galleries, Inc., 1932, no. 48, repro.
- Memorial Exhibition of Paintings, Drawings and Etchings by Gari Melchers, Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1933, no. 52.
- A Memorial Exhibition of the Work of Gari Melchers, Carnegie Institute, Pittsburgh, 1934, no. 15.
- The Index of Twentieth Century Artists 1 (October 1933): 10.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 82, repro.
- Reid, Richard S. "Gari Melchers: An American Artist in Virginia." Virginia Cavalcade XXVIII (Spring 1979): 161.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 198, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 235, repro.