By descent in the family to Adelia Leman [1857-1947], Lancaster, daughter of the subject; sold 20 March 1917 to Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1947 to NGA.
- Loan Exhibition of Historical and Contemporary Portraits Illustrating the Evolution of Portraiture in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania..., Lancaster, 1912, no. 156.
- Exhibition of Portraits by Early American Artists, The Union League Club, New York, March 1922, no. 7.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue.
- Jacob Eichholtz, Historical Society of York County, York, Pennsylvania, 1959, no. 38 (organized by Pennsylvania State Museum, Harrisburg).
- The Worlds of Jacob Eichholtz, Portrait Painter of the Early Republic, shown at one of three simultaneous venues: The Heritage Center of Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, 2003, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
The plain-weave, medium-weight fabric support has been lined. Over the smoothly and evenly applied white ground the paint was layered, and the lower layers remain slightly visible beneath the upper layers at several points. The paint apparently was applied wet-into-wet, rather quickly. There are scattered scratches and areas of abrasion, but the hair and the shadows of the face have been inpainted. The painting was most recently treated in 1948, when it was relined, discolored varnish was removed, and the painting was restored. The varnish has become moderately discolored, its haziness masking the subtle variations in the black coat.
- Hensel, William U. "Jacob Eichholtz, Painter." Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography. 37 (1913): 69, as Henry E. Leman.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered.
- Milley, John Calvin. "Jacob Eichholtz, 1776-1842." Master's thesis, University of Delaware, 1960: 11, 137-138.
- Beal, Rebecca J. Jacob Eichholtz, 1776-1842. Philadelphia, 1969: 132, no. 448.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 56, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 154, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 174, repro.
- Kelly, Franklin, with Nicolai Cikovsky, Jr., Deborah Chotner, and John Davis. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1996: 216-218, repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: