The sitter's granddaughter, Maria T. Moore [1816-1906], New York, and Stamford, Connecticut; her nephew, the Reverend Francis Van Rensselaer Moore [1872-1949], Vineland, New Jersey. (André E. Rueff and Mary H. Sully, New York); sold 31 March 1921 to Thomas B. Clarke [1848-1931], New York; his estate; sold as part of the Clarke collection on 29 January 1936, through (M. Knoedler & Co., New York), to The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1954 to NGA.
- Portraits Painted in the United States by Early American Artists, The Union League Club, New York, February 1922, no. 5.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928-1931, unnumbered and unpaginated catalogue, as by Gilbert Stuart.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Boyhood Home of Robert E. Lee, Alexandria, Virginia, 1968-1986.
- Extended loan for use by Justice David Souter, The Supreme Court of the United States, Washington, D.C., 1991-2009.
- "Current Comment: Exhibitions." Art in America 10, no. 3 (April 1922): 144.
- Park 1926, 232-233, no. 180.
- Portraits by Early American Artists of the Seventeenth, Eighteenth and Nineteenth Centuries, Collected by Thomas B. Clarke. Exh. cat. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1928, unnumbered, as by Gilbert Stuart.
- Sawitzky, William. "Some Unrecorded Portraits by Gilbert Stuart, Part Three." Art in America 21, no. 3 (June 1933): 84, 90-91.
- Mount 1964, 216, 358.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 108, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 239, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 358, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 287-289, repro. 288.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: