lower right: George Luks / Pottsville. Pa.
The artist [1866-1933]; his estate; (his estate sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 5 April 1950, no. 80). Hildegarde [née Hildegard Loretta Sell, 1906-2005] and Anna Sosenko [1909-2000], New York; (their sale, Parke-Bernet Galleries, New York, 6 January 1954, no. 42); Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; gift 1954 to NGA.
- Public Library, Pottsville, Pennsylvania, October 1925.
- Recent Paintings, Water-colors and Drawings Done in the Anthracite Coal Regions of Pennsylvania by George Luks, Frank K.M. Rehn Galleries, New York, November 1925, no. 1.
- Paintings, Sculpture and Prints in the Department of Fine Arts: Sesqui-Centennial International Exposition, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1926, no. 466.
- Loan to display with permanent collection, Pennsylvania Museum of Art, Philadelphia, 1935-1936.
- Collection of Hildegarde and Anna Sosenko, M.H. de Young Memorial Museum, San Francisco, 1951, no catalogue.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Bouton, Margaret. American Painting in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, D.C., 1959 (Booklet Number One in Ten Schools of Painting in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.): 38, color repro.
- Paintings other than French in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 60, repro.
- Prown, Jules David. American Painting, From its Beginnings to the Armory Show. Geneva, 1969: 129, color repro.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 80, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 196, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 207, color repro. 221.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 572, no. 874, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 229, repro.