Information on this painting can be found in the Gallery publication American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century, pages 211-212, which is available as a free PDF https://www.nga.gov/content/dam/ngaweb/research/publications/pdfs/american-paintings-18th-century.pdf
John Quincy Adams [1767-1848], Quincy, Massachusetts; his son, Charles Francis Adams [1807-1886], Boston, Massachusetts; his son, Brooks Adams [1848-1927], Boston, Massachusetts; his niece, Abigail Adams Homans [Mrs. Robert Homans, 1879-1974]; gift 1954 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880, no. 304.
- Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington-Loan Exhibition of Historical Portraits and Relics, Metropolitan Opera House, New York, 1889, no. 56.
- Loan to display with the permanent collection, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1931, 1932, and 1935.
- Makers of History in Washington, 1800-1950, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1950, no. 7.
- They Gave Us Freedom, Colonial Williamsburg and the College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virigia, 1951, no. 3.
- A Nineteenth-Century Gallery of Distinguished Americans, National Portrait Gallery, Washington, 1969, p. 12.
- Fathers and Sons: Two Families - Four Presidents, George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, College Station, Texas, 2002, no cat.
- Gilbert Stuart, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; National Gallery of Art (for the National Portrait Gallery), Washington, D.C., 2004-2005, no. 59, repro.
- Extended loan for use by Vice President and Mrs. Richard Cheney, Vice President's Residence, Washington, D.C., 2006-2009.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Charles Rivkin, U.S. Embassy, Paris, 2010-2011.
- Mason, George C. The Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1879: 125-126, 142.
- "Portraits Painted by Stuart...taken from Mason's Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart." In Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880: 28, no. 1.
- Bowen, Clarence W., ed. The History of the Centennial Celebration of the Inauguration of George Washington. New York, 1892: 144, 423-424, repro. opp. 17.
- Park 1926, 89, no. 1, repro.
- Oliver, Andrew. Portraits of John and Abigail Adams. Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1967: 132-178, repro. fig. 64, 251, no. 106.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 100, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1975: 387, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 226, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 67, repro. 70.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 383, no. 544, color repro.
- McLanathan 1986, 113, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 356, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 211-212, color repro. 213.