OverviewInformation on this painting can be found in the Gallery publication American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century, pages 230-233, which is available as a free PDF https://www.nga.gov/content/dam/ngaweb/research/publications/pdfs/american-paintings-18th-century.pdf
Bequeathed by the sitter's mother, Joanna Barry [d. 1811], Washington, D.C., to her nephew, James David Barry [1774-1849], Washington, D.C.; by descent to George Worthen Whistler [b. 1851], Baltimore; sold by G. D. Whistler at (Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 4 February 1927, no. 62); bought by (Arthur Tooth, London). Sold by (Daniel H. Farr Co., New York and Philadelphia) to Edward Small Moore [1881-1948], New York, 1927; his wife, Jean McGinley Moore Draper [Mrs. Charles Dana Draper, 1884/1885-1954], New York; bequest 1954 to NGA.
- Charity Art Exhibition, Academy of Music, Baltimore, 1876, no. 434.
- Loan Exhibition of Portraits for the Benefit of the Post Graduate Hospital, Daniel H. Farr Company, New York, 1935, no. 12.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Amory Houghton, U.S. Embassy residence, Paris, France, 1957-1961.
- Extended loan for use by Blair House, Washington, D.C., 1964-1984.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Gerald P. Carmen, U.S. Ambassador to the UN Mission residence, Geneva, Switzerland, 1984-1989.
- Extended loan for use by Ambassador Morris B. Abram, U.S. Ambassador to the UN Mission residence, Geneva, Switzerland, 1989-1993 (painting returned to NGA between February and July 1990).
- Gilbert Stuart, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; National Gallery of Art (for the National Portrait Gallery), Washington, D.C., 2004-2005, fig. 147 (shown only in Washington for second half of exhibition there).
- Mason, George C. The Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart. New York, 1879: 133-134.
- "Portraits Painted by Stuart...taken from Mason's Life and Works of Gilbert Stuart." In Exhibition of Portraits Painted by Gilbert Stuart. Exh. cat. Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, 1880: 30, no. 46.
- Park 1926, 133, no. 57.
- Clark, Allen C. "Captain James Barry." Records of the Columbia Historical Society of Washington, D.C. 42-43 (1942): 12-13, repro. opp. 12.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 102, repro.
- Mount, Charles Merrill. "Gilbert Stuart in Washington; with a Catalogue of His Portraits Painted between December 1803 and July 1805." Records of the Columbia Historical Society of Washington, D.C. 48 (1973): 124.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 228, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 352, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 230-233, color repro. 231.