upper right: T.E.; on reverse: TO KITTY HUSSON / FROM HER FRIEND / THOMAS EAKINS
The sitter's daughter, Katharine Husson Horstick [Mrs. Simon M. Horstick, d. 1956], Hatboro, Pennsylvania, c. 1905, at least by 1930; bequest 1957 to NGA.
Associated NamesHorstick, Simon M., Mrs.
Painted on a medium-weight, plain-weave fabric that was commercially prepared with a thin, white ground before the fabric was stretched, the painting is unlined and secured to its original four-member, mortise-and-tenon stretcher, which has a damaged paper label identifying the colormen: "F. WEBER & CO. / Succe[ssor to JANE]N[TZKY &] WEBER / 1125 CHESTNUT [STREET,] PHILADELPHIA. / BRANCH HOU[SES:] / [ST. LOUIS, MO., 709 L]ocust St. / [BALTIMORE, MD., 5] N. [Charles] St. / ---- " The white ground is visible in places, perhaps because of abrasion from a past varnish removal. There is discolored inpainting in the face and background, and the varnish is uneven and discolored.
 A paper label affixed to the cardboard backing reads: "cleaned and revarnished with Mastic by C[harles]. Bregler Phila. Pa June 1938." The NGA conservation report notes the 1957 varnish.
- Goodrich, Lloyd. "Thomas Eakins, Realist." Pennsylvania Museum Bulletin 25 (March 1930): 27, no. 188.
- Goodrich, Lloyd. Thomas Eakins: His Life and Work. New York, 1933: 202, no. 430.
- Schendler, Sylan. Eakins. Boston, 1967: repro. 279.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 52, repro.
- Hendricks, Gordon. The Life and Work of Thomas Eakins. New York, 1974: 170, repro. 171.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 150, repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1980: 116, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: 169, repro. 171.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 553, no. 839, color repro.
- Wilmerding, John. American Masterpieces from the National Gallery of Art. Rev. ed. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1988: 134, repro.
- American Paintings from the Manoogian Collection. Exh. cat. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.; The Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco; Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York; Detroit Institute of Arts. Washington, D.C., 1989: repro. 126.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 168, repro.
- Kelly, Franklin, with Nicolai Cikovsky, Jr., Deborah Chotner, and John Davis. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1996: 176, color repro. 175.