Marks and Labels
Reverse bears former inventory numbers D109 in red paint (Dreyfus) and C59 (Ricci 1931), as well as round and rectangular paper labels, imprinted with stamps of DOUANES / FRANÇAISES / EXPOSITIONS / PARIS (French Customs, Exhibitions, Paris), from Duveen Brothers export of the object, c. 1930 (see Provenance).
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection: Renaissance Bronzes. Oxford, 1931: 74, no. 59, pl. 37, as Paduan, c. 1500.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 137, as Paduan, c. 1500.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 133, no. 490, fig. 477, as by Severo da Ravenna.
- Radcliffe, Anthony, Malcolm Baker, and Michael Maek-Gérard. Renaissance and Later Sculpture with Works of Art in Bronze. The Thyssen-Bornemisza Collection. Edited by Irene Martin. London, 1992: 194, no. 6, as Romano-Mantuan.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 169, repro.
- Lewis, Douglas. "Mantova e la produzione di placchette nel XV secolo." In Rossi, Francesco, ed. Placchette e rilievi di bronzo nell'età del Mantegna. Exh. cat. Museo della Città di Palazzo San Sebastiano, Mantua, 2006: 11.
- Rossi, Francesco. La collezione Mario Scaglia: placchette. 3 vols. Bergamo, 2011: 1:157, under Storia critica, 158 fig. d.