visibly only under magnification, as the lettering evidently failed to register on the mold, on the left portal of the ark, marks which may be the ornamental stops of: .LAV. / .R.; on the right, marks which may be the ornamental stops of: MED / .
Marks and Labels
On obverse, along beveled rim at top, 105 in purplish black ink (unidentified collection). Reverse formerly bore previous inventory number 23 in yellow paint (Ricci 1931); painted numerals removed in 1982 cleaning.
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Molinier, Émile. Les Bronzes de la Renaissance. Les Plaquettes; Catalogue Raisonné. 2 vols. Paris, 1886: 1:1-2, no. 1, as after the Antique.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 28, no. 23, pl. 14, as after a Florentine fifteen-century gem.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 142.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 82, no. 285, fig. 22.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 28, no. 10.
- Rossi, Francesco. "Le Gemme Antiche e le Origini della Placchetta." In Italian Plaquettes. Douglas Lewis, ed. Studies in the History of Art 22, Symposium Papers 9 (1989): 60, fig. 8, notes 84-90.