Marks and Labels
Reverse bore former inventory numbers 35 in red paint (Dreyfus) and 46 in yellow paint (Ricci 1931); numerals removed in 1982 cleaning.
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Molinier, Émile. Les Bronzes de la Renaissance. Les Plaquettes; Catalogue Raisonné. 2 vols. Paris, 1886: 1:31–32, no. 61, as Italian, fifteenth century.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 42, no. 46, pl. 17, as Florentine fifteenth century, Antinous?.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 143, as Florentine 15th Century, Antinous (?).
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 77-78, no. 266, fig. 56, as after the antique.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 94, no. 22, as Italian fifteenth century.
- Rossi, Francesco. "Le Gemme Antiche e le Origini della Placchetta." In Italian Plaquettes. Douglas Lewis, ed. Studies in the History of Art 22, Symposium Papers 9 (1989): 61-62, fig. 11, as Florentine early sixteenth century.
- Kokole, Stanko. "The Silver Shrine of Saint Simeon in Zadar: Collecting Ancient Coins and Casts after the Antique in Fifteenth-Century Dalmatia." In Collecting Sculpture in Early Modern Europe. Nicholas Penny and Eike D. Schmidt, eds. Studies in the History of Art 70, Symposium Papers 47 (2008): 112-113, 116 fig. 13, 122 n. 14, as Italian, fifteenth century.
- Rossi, Francesco. La collezione Mario Scaglia: placchette. 3 vols. Bergamo, 2011: 1:60, under Variante B, M.8, as Portrait of a Youth (Antoichus V Eupator?), Florentine, third quarter of the fifteenth century.
- Warren, Jeremy. Medieval and Renaissance Sculpture. A Catalogue of the Collection in the Ashmolean Museum, Oxford. Oxford, 2014: 3:905.