on city walls in background: ROMA S[ENATUS] P[OPULUS] Q[UE] R[OMANUS] (Rome / the Senate and the Roman People)
Marks and Labels
Reverse bears small, carefully incised letter M (or possibly W), covered by patination (unidentified collection), as well as former inventory numbers 63 in red paint (Dreyfus) and 58 in yellow paint (Ricci 1931).
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
Associated NamesDreyfus, Gustave
Duveen Brothers, Inc.
Kress Foundation, Samuel H.
- Molinier, Émile. Les Bronzes de la Renaissance. Les Plaquettes; Catalogue Raisonné. 2 vols. Paris, 1886: 1:62, no. 93.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 50, no. 58, pl. 20.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 143.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 23, no. 63, fig. 65.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 59, no. 5.
- Rossi, Francesco. La collezione Mario Scaglia: placchette. 3 vols. Bergamo, 2011: 1:251, under Variante A, M.6, 252 fig. b.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: