Marks and Labels
Reverse bears former inventory numbers 85 in red paint (Dreyfus) and 67 in yellow paint (Ricci 1931).
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Migeon, Gaston. "La collection de M. Gustave Dreyfus, V: Les plaquettes." Les Arts 80 (August 1908): 31, repro., as Venus and Cupid at the Forge of Vulcan, by Monogrammist M. C. (Northern Italian).
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 55, no. 67, pl. 22, as Apollo, Venus, Mars, and Vulcan, by Master M.C.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 144, repro. 67, as Apollo, Venus, Mars, and Vulcan, by Master M.C.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 38, no. 119, fig. 222, as Vulcan Forging the Arrows of Cupid, by Master M.C.
- Rossi, Francesco, ed. Placchette e rilievi di bronzo nell'età del Mantegna. Exh. cat. Museo della Città di Palazzo San Sebastiano, Mantua, 2006: 47.
- Rossi, Francesco. La collezione Mario Scaglia: placchette. 3 vols. Bergamo, 2011: 1:151, under Storia critica.