lower left on lateral panel of Porsena's thronel: SE[NATUS] / CO[NSULTO] (By the decree of the senate ["the senate having been consulted"])
Marks and Labels
Reverse formerly bore previous inventory numbers 78 in red paint (Dreyfus) and 75 in yellow paint (Ricci 1931); the numerals were removed in 1982 cleaning.
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Molinier, Émile. Les Bronzes de la Renaissance. Les Plaquettes; Catalogue Raisonné. 2 vols. Paris, 1886: 1:74-75, no. 108, as by Melioli.
- Migeon, Gaston. "La collection de M. Gustave Dreyfus, V: Les plaquettes." Les Arts 80 (August 1908): 30, repro. 23, as by Melioli.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 58, no. 75, pl. 24, as by Pseudo-Melioli.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 144, as by Pseudo-Melioli.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 59, no. 196, fig. 219, as by Pseudo-Melioli.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 95, no. 8, as by Pseudo-Melioli.
- Rossi, Francesco. La collezione Mario Scaglia: placchette. 3 vols. Bergamo, 2011: 1:143, under Prototipo, M.5, as by Bartolomeo Melioli (?).