Marks and Labels
Reverse bears former inventory number 178 in red paint (Dreyfus) and earlier-style NGA accession number in red paint.
Eugene Piot [1812-1890], Paris; (his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 25-30 April 1864, no. 29); Louis-Charles Timbal [1821-1880], Paris; sold with his collection 1872 to Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 1944 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Rinascimento e Passione per L'Antico. Andrea Riccio e il suo tempo, Museo Castello del Buonconsiglio, Trento, 2008, no. 17, repro., as by Andrea Riccio (?).
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931. vol.II, 128.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: no. 204.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 88, no. 3.
- Lloyd, Christopher. "Two Large Plaquettes in Oxford from the Collection of C. D. E. Fortnum." Studies in the History of Art 22 (1989):216, repro. 217.
- Sturman, Shelley, and Barbara Berrie. "Technical Examination of Riccio Plaquettes." Studies in the History of Art 22 (1989):177, 186, repro.