lower center reverse, inverted with respect to obverse: R
Marks and Labels
Reverse bears pen inscription “J. Hutteau / Pri[ . . . ] (?) [ . . . ]uite / No 177” in black ink, as well as former inventory numbers: 188 in red paint (Dreyfus collection), 42 in yellow paint (Ricci 1931), and earlier-style NGA accession number in red paint.
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931. vol.II, 142.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: no. 218.
- Sturman, Shelley and Berrie, Barbara. "Technical Examination of Riccio Plaquettes." Studies in the History of Art 22 (1989):182-183, 186-187, repro.