Marks and Labels
Reverse bears former inventory numbers 126 in red paint (unidentified collection) and 167 in yellow paint (Ricci 1931); in center of reverse, cast-in raised disk (2.5 cm diam.) with beaded border, containing an illegible shield of arms (on which only a fesse band is discernible), surmounted by a cardinal’s(?) hat with flanking tassels; below the shield, a pendant patriarchal cross.
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Molinier, Émile. Les Bronzes de la Renaissance. Les Plaquettes; Catalogue Raisonné. 2 vols. Paris, 1886:, 1:126, no. 169, note.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931. vol. II, 129-130, no. 167, pl. 54.
- National Gallery of Art. Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. Washington, 1951: 151.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 46, no. 145, fig. 174.
- Lewis, Douglas. "The Plaquettes of 'Moderno' and His Followers." Studies in the History of Art 22 (1989): 112, 118, 120, 129, repro.