Marks and Labels
Reverse bears former inventory numbers 390 in black ink (unidentified collection), 273 in red paint (Dreyfus), and 249 in yellow paint (Ricci 1931).
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 182, no. 249, as Paduan, fifteenth century, Funeral of a Bishop.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection: Renaissance Bronzes. Oxford, 1931: 64, no. 54, note, as Paduan, Funeral of a Bishop, c. 1500 (first connecting this design with the Saint Simeon plaquettes, NGA 19184.108.40.206–19220.127.116.11).
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 147, as Paduan fifteenth century, Funeral of a Bishop.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 91, no. 321, fig. 244, as Paduan, beginning of the sixteenth century.
- Van Waveren-Hooft, Eliane. "Le Placchette con le 'Storie di San Simeone': Contesto e stile di un manufatto rinascimentale emigrato." In Piva, Paolo and Maria-Rosa Simonelli, eds. Storia di San Benedetto Polirone. L'età della soppressione. Bologna, 2001: 176–177, fig. 10.