in exergue, in relief: .IO[HANNES].F[ONDULINI].F[ONDULI]. [followed by a sprig of horseradish or "cren" to signify "da Crema"] (Giovanni di Fondulino Fonduli, da Crema)
Marks and Labels
Reverse formerly bore previous inventory number 338 in yellow paint (Ricci 1931); numerals were removed during 1982 cleaning.
Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Molinier, Émile. Les Bronzes de la Renaissance. Les Plaquettes; Catalogue Raisonné. 2 vols. Paris, 1886: 1:90, no. 130, as Ariadne on the Island of Naxos, by Giovanni delle Corniole.
- Migeon, Gaston. "La collection de M. Gustave Dreyfus, V: Les plaquettes." Les Arts 80 (August 1908): pl. 17, fig. 2, as by Giovanni delle Corniole.
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 233, no. 338, pl. 98, as Ariadne on the Island of Naxos, by “Master IO.F.F.”
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 153, as by “Master IO.F.F.”
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 33, no. 97, fig. 128, as Ariadne on Naxos, by “Master IO.F.F.”
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 97, no. 16, as Ariadne on Naxos, by “Master IO.F.F.”
- Fulton, Christopher B. "The Master IO.F.F. and the Function of Plaquettes." Studies in the History of Art 22 (1989): 146, 158–159, note 7, fig. 2, as by Master IO.F.F.
- Collareta, Marco. "Sul 'Maestro IO.F.F.’ e sulla posizione dell’oreficeria nell’arte italiana intorno all’anno 1500." Prospettiva 87-88 (July-October 1997): 137, fig. 1, as by Master IO. F.F. (labeled in caption 2; it and caption 1 are reversed).
- Lucco, Mauro, Bertrand Jestaz, and Tiziana Franco, eds. Catalogo del Museo civico di Belluno. 3 vols. Vicenza, 1997: 3:44.
- Bergbauer, Bertrand and Catherine Chédeau. Images en relief: La collection de plaquettes du Musée National de la Renaissance. Paris, 2006: 70.
- Rossi, Francesco. La collezione Mario Scaglia: placchette. 3 vols. Bergamo, 2011: 1:261, under Prototipo, M.21.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: