Gustave Dreyfus [1837-1914], Paris; his estate; purchased 1930 by (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London and New York); purchased 1945 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1957 to NGA.
- Blood: Art, Power, Politics and Pathology, Museum für Kunsthandwerk, Frankfurt, 2001-2002, unnumbered catalogue, repro. 270, as Man of Sorrows (Cristo della Passione).
- Ricci, Seymour de. The Gustave Dreyfus Collection. Reliefs and Plaquettes. Oxford, 1931: 294, no. 447, pl. 126, as German, sixteenth century, Christ Risen from the Dead.
- Renaissance Bronzes: Statuettes, Reliefs and Plaquettes, Medals and Coins from the Kress Collection. Introduction by Perry B. Cott. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1951: 160, as German, sixteenth century, Christ Risen from the Dead.
- Middeldorf, Ulrich. "Un rame inciso del Quattrocento." In Martinelli et al, eds. Scritti di storia dell'arte in onore di Mario Salmi. 3 vols. Rome, 1961-1963: 2:273–289, repro.
- Pope-Hennessy, John W. Renaissance Bronzes from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Reliefs, Plaquettes, Statuettes, Utensils and Mortars. London, 1965: 79, no. 276, fig. 33.
- Middeldorf, Ulrich. “Un rame inciso del Quattrocento.” In Raccolta di Scritti: That Is, Collected Writings. 3 vols. Florence, 1981: 2:275–285, fig. 108.
- Wilson, Carolyn C. Renaissance Small Bronze Sculpture and Associated Decorative Arts at the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1983: 26, no. 1.