lower left: Claude Monet
Acquired from the artist by James F. Sutton [d. 1915], New York; (Sutton sale, American Art Association, New York, 16 January 1917, no. 151 [sale given as collection of Mrs. Florence Macy Sutton]); purchased by (Durand-Ruel) for Mrs. Henry Osborne Havemeyer, née Louisine Waldron Elder [1855-1929], New York; (Havemeyer sale, American Art Association, New York, 10 April 1930, no. 71); purchased by Chester Dale [1882-1962], New York; gift to NGA 1958.
- Exhibition of Paintings by Old Masters, and Modern Foreign and American Artists, together with an Exhibit of the work of Monet the Impressionist, Union League Club, 1891, no. 77, as Foggy Morning.
- Literature and Poetry in Paintings Since 1850, Wadsworth Atheneum, Hartford, 1933, no. 45.
- Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection, Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1943-1951, unnumbered cat., repro.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- H.O. Havemeyer Collection: Catalogue of Paintings, Prints, Sculpture and Objects of Art. Privately printed, 1931: 504
- Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. Philadelphia, 1943: unpaginated, repro.
- French Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1953: 60, repro.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 94, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 92.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 81, repro.
- Huyghe, René. La Relève du Réel: impressionnisme, symbolisme. Paris, 1974: 121, repro.
- Wildenstein, Daniel. Claude Monet: biographie et catalogue raisonné. 5 vols. Paris, 1974: 3:no. 1196.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 240, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 277, repro.
- Frelinghuysen, Alice Cooney et. al. Splendid Legacy: The Havemeyer Collection. Exh. cat. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York,1993: 364, no. 403.
- Harris, Neil. Capital Culture: J. Carter Brown, the National Gallery of Art, and the Reinvention of the Museum Experience. Chicago and London, 2013: 246, 248, 249, 250.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: