Bequeathed by the artist to Fra Paolino da Pistoia; given by him to his pupil Sister Plautilla Nelli (1523-1588), Convent of Saint Catherine, Piazza San Marco; purchased from the Convent in 1725 by Francesco Maria Nicolo Gabburri (1675-1742); possibly William Kent; purchased in southern Ireland in 1925 by a private collector; (sale, London, Sotheby's, 20 November 1957, no. 22, and mentioned p. V); purchased by Lessing J. Rosenwald, Alverthorpe, PA; gift to NGA, 1959.
- NGA Master Drawings 1978, p. 34-35.
- Fra Bartolommeo: Master Draughtsman of the high Renaissance, Museum of Fine Arts, Boston and The Pierpont Morgan Library, New York, 1992 (not in catalogue).
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 662, no. 1044 (recto).