in image at lower center, in black ink: WITHERED SPRING; in image at center, ARS / LUN / GA; on verso, at center in graphite: [?] Thurnam / 2 [fl...?] / 5h; on verso, at lower right, in graphite: RS 346
Marks and Labels
on verso, stamped in black ink: Lessing J. Rosenwald [Lugt 1760b]
Presented by the artist to Dr. Rowland Thurnam [1868 - 1941]; (Maggs Brothers, London); (Charles J. Sawyer, London); (Richard Sessler, Philadelphia); purchased by Lessing J. Rosenwald [1891-1979], Jenkintown, PA, 1930; gift to NGA, 1943.
Associated NamesRosenwald, Lessing Julius
- The Fantastic, the Occult, and the Bizarre in Prints from the Rosenwald Collection, NGA, 1958, no cat.
- Aubrey Beardsley, Victoria & Albert Museum, London; Gallery of Modern Art and the Huntington Hartford Museum, New York; Los Angeles County Museum of Art, 1966-68, no. 122.
- The Victorian Rebellion: a loan exhibition of works by the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood and their contemporaries, Lakeview Center for the Arts and Sciences, Peoria, IL, 1971, no. 1, repro.
- The Artist's Vision: Romantic Traditions in Great Britain, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006 - 2007
- Aubrey Beardsley, Tate Britain, London; and Musée d'Orsay, Paris, 2020-2021, no. 6, repro.
- Vallance, 28.
- Zatlin, Linda Gertner. Aubrey Beardsley: A Catalogue Raisonne. Vol. I. New Haven and London, 2016: no. 219.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: