Possibly Bourbon-Condé family. Sir Richard Wallace, 1st bt. [1818-1890], London and Paris; by inheritance to his wife, Julie-Amélie-Charlotte Castelnau, Lady Wallace [1819-1897], Paris and London; by inheritance to her adviser and secretary, Sir John Murray Scott, 1st bt. [1847-1912], London and Paris; by inheritance to his friend, Josephine Victoria Sackville-West, Lady Sackville [1864-1936], Sevenoaks, Kent [sculpture remained in Paris in Scott's residence]; sold 1913 to (Jacques Seligmann and Co., Inc., Paris and New York); sold 1951 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1960 to NGA.
- Cecil, Robert. “The remainder of the Hertford and Wallace Collections.” The Burlington Magazine 92 (June 1950): 168-172, fig. 19, 23.
- Seymour, Charles, Jr. "A Group of Royal Portrait Busts from the Reign of Louis XIV. " The Art Bulletin 34, no. 4 (December 1952): 285-288, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 446, repro.
- Coolidge, John. "Two Portrait Busts attributed to Guillaume Coustou the Elder." In Essays in Honor of Walter Friedlaender. Locust Valley, NY, 1965: 3-15, esp. 9.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 156
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 139, repro.
- Middeldorf, Ulrich. Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools XIV-XIX Century. London, 1976: 96.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 640, no. 1007, repro.
- Hazlehurst, F. Hamilton. "Five Portrait Busts: A Question of Identification and Authorship." Studies in the History of Art 24 (1990): 99-100, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 93, repro.
- Norman Herz, Katherine A. Holbrow and Shelley G. Sturman. "Marble Sculture in the National Gallery of Art: a Provenance Study." In Max Schvoerer, ed. Archéomatériaux: marbres et autres roches: ASMOSIA IV, Bordeaux, France 9-13 october 1995: actes de la IVème Conférence international de l’Association pour l’étude des marbres et autres roches utilizes dans le passé. Talence, 1999: 101-110.