Commissioned by the Madruzzo family, Prince Bishops of Trent, Castello del Buon Consiglio, Trent, Italy, until 1658; by inheritance to Baroni di Roccabruna, Trent; by inheritance 1735 to Baroni Gaudenti della Torre, Trent; by inheritance by 1833 to Baroni Salvadori, Casa Salvadori, Trent; by inheritance to Baroni Isidro and Valentino, Salvadori, Casa Salvadori, Trent; sold 1907 through (Trotti et Cie., Paris) and (M. Knoedler & Co., Paris) to James Stillman [d. 1918], New York; by inheritance to Charles Chauncey Stillman, New York; (Stillman sale, American Art Association, New York, 3 February 1927, no. 28); purchased by (M. Knoedler & Co., New York); by whom sold to William R. Timken [1866-1949], New York; by inheritance to his widow, Lillian Guyer Timken [1881-1959], New York; bequest 1960 to NGA.
- Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York, long term loan, 1921-1926
- Masterworks of Five Centuries, Golden Gate International Exposition, San Francisco, 1939, no. 41, repro.
- Masterpieces of Art. European & American Paintings 1500-1900, New York World's Fair, 1940, no. 10, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. Treasures from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1962: 38, color repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 308, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 95.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 84, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 250, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: 1:340-341; 2:pl. 248.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 223, no. 278, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 289, repro.
- Kirsh, Andrea, and Rustin S. Levenson. Seeing Through Paintings: Physical Examination in Art Historical Studies. Materials and Meaning in the Fine Arts 1. New Haven, 2000: 262.
- Hand, John Oliver. National Gallery of Art: Master Paintings from the Collection. Washington and New York, 2004: 93, no. 68, color repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: