William R. Timken [1866-1949], New York; by inheritance to his widow, Lillian Guyer Timken [1881-1959], New York; bequest 1960 to NGA.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Georgia Museum of Art, University of Georgia, Athens, 1967-1971.
- Styles in Portraiture, Northern Virginia Fine Arts Association, Alexandria, Virginia, 1972, no cat.
- Loan for display with permanent collection, Museum of Fine Arts, St. Petersburg, Florida, 1974-1977.
- Doria, Arnaud. Louis Tocqué. Paris, 1929: 39, 94 (under no. 12).
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 96.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 84, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 252, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 291, repro.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 75, 347-349, color repro.