on reverse, in a later hand (covered by the lining canvas): Lady Liston / Wife of the Right Hon. Sir Robert Liston GCB / Her Brittanic Majesty's / Ambassador to the / Sublime Porte / Painter Raeburn
The sitter's grand-niece and heir, Henrietta Ramage Liston Foulis [d. 1850], Millburn Tower, County Edinburgh, Scotland; her son, Sir James Liston Foulis, 9th baronet [1847-1895], Woodhall and Millburn Tower, County Edinburgh; his son, Sir William Liston Foulis, 10th baronet [1869-1918], Woodhall and Millburn Tower, County Edinburgh; (P. & D. Colnaghi & Obach, London, on joint account with M. Knoedler & Co., New York), 16 December 1919; sold April 1920 to Elbert H. Gary [1846-1927], New York; sale of his estate (American Art Association, New York, 8 December 1934, no. 385); bought by Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; gift 1960 to NGA.
- Scottish National Portraits, Edinburgh, 1884, no. 264, as by Sir Henry Raeburn
- An Exhibition of American Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection, Union League Club, New York, 1937, no. 6
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Liston, Mrs. Robert. Correspondence. National Library of Scotland, Edinburgh.
- Cunningham, Allan. The Life of Sir David Wilkie; with his Journals, Tours, and Critical Remarks on Works of Art; and a Selection from his Correspondence. 3 vols. London, 1843: 2:119.
- Armstrong, Sir Walter. Sir Henry Raeburn. London, 1901: 106.
- Pinnington, Edward. Sir Henry Raeburn, R.A.. London, 1904: 238.
- Greig, James. Sir Henry Raeburn, R.A., London, 1911: 51.
- Fielding, Mantle. "Addenda and Corrections to Paintings by Gilbert Stuart. Not Noted in Mason's Life of Stuart." Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography 44 (January 1920): 89.
- Park 1926, 480, no. 494, repro.
- Whitley 1932, 117.
- "When Genuine Raeburns Turn Out to be Absolute Gilbert Stuarts." Art Digest 9, no. 5 (1 December 1934): 8.
- Comstock, Helen. "A Recapitulation of Portraits Recovered for Gilbert Stuart." Connoisseur 95 (February 1935): 99-100, repro.
- Perkins, Bradford. "A Diplomat's Wife in Philadelphia: Letters of Henrietta Liston, 1796-1800." William and Mary Quarterly 11, no. 4 (January 1954): 592-632, repro.
- Wright, Esmond. "Robert Liston, Second British Minister to the United States." History Today 11, no. 2 (February 1961): 118-127, repro.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. Treasures from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1962: 136, color repro., as Lady Liston.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 321, repro., as Lady Liston.
- Mount 1964, 231, 371.
- Paintings other than French in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 28, repro., as Lady Liston.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 104, repro., as Lady Liston.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1975: 382, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 231, repro.
- Williams, William James. A Heritage of American Paintings from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1981: repro. 67.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 378, no. 532, color repro., as Lady Liston.
- McLanathan 1986, 99-100, color repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 351, repro.
- Miles, Ellen G. American Paintings of the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1995: 224-227, color repro. 225.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: