The sitter's daughter, Georgian Warner [Mrs. David] Woodburn, Baltimore; her brother, John Smith Warner, Jr.; his daughter, Martha E. Warner, Philadelphia; gift 1961 to NGA.
- Bass Otis: Painter, Portraitist and Engraver, The Historical Society of Delaware, Wilmington, 1976, no. 50.
- McComb, Arthur. The Baroque Painters of Italy. Cambridge, Massachusetts, 1934: 43-44, fig. 42.
- American Paintings and Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1970: 84, repro.
- Hendricks, Gordon. "A Wish to Please, and a Willingness to Be Pleased." American Art Journal 2, no. 1 (Spring 1970): 18.
- Davis, Gainor B., and Wayne Craven. Bass Otis, Painter, Portraitist and Engraver. Exh. cat. Historical Society of Delaware, Wilmington, 1976: 52.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1980: 203, repro.
- American Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1992: 253, repro.
- Torchia, Robert Wilson, with Deborah Chotner and Ellen G. Miles. American Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part II. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 1998: 284-286, repro.