lower center on parapet: MARCO.ZOPPO.DA BOLOGNA / OPVS; hanging over the parapet, a coat of arms with an oval divided vertically in azure and white within a pink concave shield
Ascoli, Bologna; purchased November 1880 by Sir John Charles Robinson [1824-1913], London; sold February 1882 to Sir Francis Cook, 1st bt. [1817-1901], Doughty House, Richmond, Surrey; by inheritance to his son, Sir Frederick Lucas Cook, 2nd bt. [1844-1920], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Herbert Frederick Cook, 3rd bt. [1868-1939], Doughty House; by inheritance to his son, Sir Francis Ferdinand Maurice Cook, 4th bt. [1907-1978], Doughty House, and Cothay Manor, Somerset; sold December 1953 to (Margaret Drey, London); (Rosenberg & Stiebel, Inc., New York); sold 29 January 1954 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1961 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Pictures, Drawings & Photographs of Works of the School of Ferrara-Bologna, 1440-1540, Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1894, no. 4, repro.
- Loan Exhibition of the Cook Collection of Primitive and Early Renaissance Paintings (1350-1550); venues: municipal art galleries of Norwich, Sheffield, Leicester, Blackpool, Manchester, Southampton, Brighton; tour by Art Exh. Bureau, 1946-1947, no. 20.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection Acquired by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation 1951-56. Introduction by John Walker, text by William E. Suida and Fern Rusk Shapley. National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1956: 206, no. 82, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Comparisons in Art: A Companion to the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC. London, 1957 (reprinted 1959): pl. 13.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 125, repro.
- Walker, John, Guy Emerson, and Charles Seymour. Art Treasures for America: An Anthology of Paintings & Sculpture in the Samuel H. Kress Collection. London, 1961: 48, repro. pl. 46.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C. New York, 1963 (reprinted 1964 in French, German, and Spanish): 301, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 140.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XIII-XV Century. London, 1966: 87, fig. 237.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 127, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 378, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: 1:540-542; 2:pl. 377.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 442, repro.
- Giovannucci Vigi, Berenice, ed. Marco Zoppo e il suo tempo. Bologna, 1993: 13, 16, 80, 109, 111 repro., 112, 126, 129, 168 repro., 169 repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 691-699, color repro.
- Sort by:
- Results layout: