upper left: . FRANCOIS . DVC . DALENCON . / . EAGE . DE . XVIII . ANS LE.XIX.E / . IONR . DE . MARS . AN . 1572 . / . FILS . DE . HENRY II.EDE CE . / NO M . ROY . DE . FRANCE .
John Stuart Bligh, 6th earl of Darnley [1827-1896], Cobham Hall, Kent, by 1851; by inheritance to his son, Edward Henry Stuart Bligh, 7th earl of Darnley [1851-1900], Cobham Hall; by inheritance to his brother, Ivo Francis Walter Bligh, 8th earl of Darnley [1859-1927], Cobham Hall; (Darnley sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 1 May 1925, no. 57, as by François Pourbus); purchased by (M. Knoedler & Co., New York) and (P. & D. Colnaghi, London and New York); sold November 1925 to Otto H. Kahn [1867-1934], New York; his heirs; on consignment from 1942 to (Duveen Brothers, Inc., New York, London, and Paris, as by Pieter Pourbus the Elder); purchased 1947 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York, as Attributed to François Clouet; gift 1961 to NGA.
- Exhibition of Old Masters, Duveen Galleries, New York, 1946, no. 6, as by Frans Pourbus.
- French Painting 1100-1900, Carnegie Institute, 1951, no. 45, as School of François Clouet.
- William de Zwijger (William the Silent), Stedelijk Museum "Het Prinsenhof," Delft, The Netherlands; Musée de la Ville "Maison du Roi," Brussels, 1984, no 6.14.
- Les Tudors, Musée du Luxembourg, Paris, 2015, no. 84, fig. 136.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 334, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 53.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 45, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 136, repro.
- Eisler, Colin. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools Excluding Italian. Oxford, 1977: 257-258, fig. 240.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 227, no. 281, color repro., as by French School.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 24, repro.
- Goldring, Elizabeth. "The Earl of Leicester and portraits of the duc d'Alençon." The Burlington Magazine 146 (February 2004): 108-111, fig. 36.
- Fahy, Everett, ed. The Wrightsman Pictures. New Haven, 2005: 18, under cat. 5, fig. 1.
- Conisbee, Philip, et al. French Paintings of the Fifteenth through the Eighteenth Century. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2009: no. 48, 224-228, color repro.