An Albergotti chapel, possibly the one in the Cathedral of Arezzo, built c. 1517; Marchesi Albergotti, by the 17th century; Francesco Lombardi and Ugo Baldi, Florence, by 1845; (Ludwig Metzger, Florence); acquired 17 May 1875 by Alexander William Crawford Lindsay, 25th earl of Crawford [1812-1880], Villa Palmieri, near Florence; by inheritance to his son, James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th earl of Crawford [1847-1913]; by inheritance to his son, Sir David Alexander Edward Lindsay, 27th earl of Crawford [1871-1940]; by inheritance to his son, Sir David Alexander Robert Lindsay, 28th earl of Crawford [1900-1975], Haigh Hall, Wigan, Manchester; (his sale, Christie, Manson & Woods, London, 11 October 1946, no. 152); (Koetser, London and New York). (Wildenstein & Co., Inc., New York); sold June 1949 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1952 to the Honolulu Academy of Arts; returned 1960 to the Samuel H. Kress Foundation; gift 1961 to NGA.
Associated NamesAlbergotti, Marchesi
Christie, Manson & Woods, Ltd.
Crawford, Alexander William Crawford Lindsay, 25th Earl of
Crawford, David Alexander Edward Lindsay, 27th Earl of, Sir
Crawford, David Alexander Robert Lindsay, 28th Earl of, Sir
Crawford, James Ludovic Lindsay, 26th Earl of
Honolulu Museum of Art
Koetser Gallery, David M.
Kress Foundation, Samuel H.
Wildenstein & Co., Inc.
- The Work of Luca Signorelli and his School, Burlington Fine Arts Club, London, 1893, no. 29 (only a photograph was exhibited).
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 122.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 109, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Paintings from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: Italian Schools, XV-XVI Century. London, 1968: 97, fig. 233.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 326, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1979: 1:429-430; 2:pl. 308.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 373, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 649-654, color repro.