lower right with atelier stamp: Degas
Hilaire-Germain-Edgar Degas [1834-1917], the artist, Paris; (Degas sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 6-8 May 1918, no. 86); purchased by Jacques Seligmann [1858-1923], Paris, for his private collection; (Seligmann sale, American Art Galleries, New York, 27 January 1921, no. 45); purchased by (Scott & Fowles); sold to Henry D. Hughes, Philadelphia; on consignment with (Marie Sterner Galleries); sold 10 November 1928 to Chester Dale [1882-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- Cent ans de peinture française, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 1930, no. 12, as Jeune femme assise.
- Degas and his Tradition, Museum of French Art, New York, 1931, no. 3
- Degas, Portraitiste, Sculpteur, Musée de l'Orangerie, Paris, 1931, no. 50
- Masterpieces of Impressionist and Post-Impressionist Painting, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- From Impressionism to Modernism: The Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, January 2010-January 2012, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Degas at the Opera, Musée d'Orsay, Paris; National Gallery of Art, Washington, 2019-2020, no. 269 (shown only in Washington).
- Lemoisne, Paul André. Degas et son oeuvre. 4 vols. Paris, 1946-1949.
- Boggs, Jean Sutherland. Portraits by Degas. Univ. of California, 1962:122, repro. pl. 91.
- MacNeil, Neil. "Chester Dale: Collector." McCalls (November 1963): 121, repro.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 77, repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred. "How Great is the Dale Collection?" Art News 64 (May 1965):40-43, 51-53, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 39.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. A Pageant of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. 2 vols. New York, 1966: 2:440, color repro.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 31, repro.
- Reff, Theodore. "The Degas of Detroit." Bulletin of the Detroit Institute of Arts 53 (1974):35-36, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 98, repro.
- Watson, Ross. The National Gallery of Art, Washington. New York, 1979: 115, pl. 101.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 480, no. 709, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 119, repro.
- Hoenigswald, Ann, and Kimberly A. Jones. "The Question of Finish in the Work of Edgar Degas." In Degas, Daphne Barbour and Suzanne Quillen Lomax, eds. Facture. Conservation, Science, Art History 3 (2017): 20-49, esp. 34-36, figs. 11 and 12 (detail).
- Sort by:
- Results layout: