lower left, scratched into the paint with the handle of a brush: F. Millet
(Sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 23 February 1925, no. 111). (Sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 3 December 1925, no. 101). A. Devilder. (Galerie Joseph Allard, Paris); sold 16 June 1926 to Chester Dale [1883-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- 100 Years of French Portraits from the Chester Dale Collection, Museum of French Art, New York, 1928, no. 6
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- Dale, Maud. Before Manet to Modigliani from the Chester Dale Collection. New York, 1929: no 7, repro., as Portrait of a Gentleman.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 46, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 90.
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 79, repro.
- Lepoittevin, Lucien. Jean François Millet. 2 vols. Paris, 1971: I:90, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 234, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 269, repro.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 318-321, color repro.