lower right: ODILON REDON
Jules Chavasse, Paris; (his sale, Hôtel Drouot, Paris, 22 June 1922, no. 26, repro.). Mrs. A. Bing, New York, by 1928. (Reinhardt Galleries, New York); probably by whom sold to Mrs. Lotus Robb Smith, New York, c. 1927/28 until at least 1931; sold 1937 by an anonymous collector to (Julius H. Weitzner [1896-1986], London and New York); sold 20 October 1950 to Chester Dale [1882-1962], New York; gift 1963 to NGA.
- Odilon Redon, De Hauke & Co., New York, 1928, no. 11.
- Possibly Masterpieces of Art. European & American Paintings 1500-1900, New York World's Fair, 1940, no. 350.
- Symbolism in Painting, Museum of Modern Art, New York, and numerous other venues, 1947-1948.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- From Impressionism to Modernism: The Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, January 2010-January 2012, unnumbered catalogue, repro.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 138, repro.
- Frankfurter, Alfred. "How Great is the Dale Collection?" Art News 64 (May 1965):40-43, 51-53, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 108
- European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1968: 96, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 282, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 515, no. 770, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 327, repro.