J.P. Mazaroz-Ribalier; (his sale, Paris, Hôtel Drouot, 1-3 December 1890, no. 175); purchased by Gustave Cahen [b. 1825], Paris; (his sale, Galerie Georges Petit, Paris, 24 May 1929, no. 78). Cahen collection on consignment with Felix Lachovski; (Cahen sale, Silo's, New York, 5-6 December 1929, 2nd day, no. 483); purchased by Chester Dale [1882-1962], New York; bequest 1963 to NGA.
- The Chester Dale Bequest, National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 1965, unnumbered checklist.
- French Paintings from the Chester Dale Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1953: 24, repro.
- Eighteenth and Nineteenth Century Paintings & Sculpture of the French School in the Chester Dale Collection, National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 28, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 117.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 104, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 312, repro.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 418, no. 599, color repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 357, repro.
- Eitner, Lorenz. French Paintings of the Nineteenth Century, Part I: Before Impressionism. The Collections of the National Gallery of Art Systematic Catalogue. Washington, D.C., 2000: 330-333, color repro.