lower center in garland: y h s (with omega above the "s", the left "tail" of which forms a cross with the upright member of the "h")
Acquired in the 18th century by a member of the Granby family; by descent in the family to John Henry Montagu Manners, 9th duke of Rutland and marquess of Granby [1886-1940]; (sale, Christie's, London, 16 July 1925, no. 76); Huggins. Clarence H. Mackay [1874-1938], Roslyn, New York, by 1926; (Duveen Brothers, Inc., London, New York, and Paris); purchased 1936 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Desiderio da Settignano: Sculptor of Renaissance Florence, Musée du Louvre, Paris; Museo Nazionale del Bargello, Florence; National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C., 2006-2007, not in cat. (shown only in Washington).
- Valentiner, W.R. The Clarence H. Mackay Collection. New York, 1926: no. 12, repro.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 234, no. A-31, pl. XVI.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 254, repro. 235.
- Swarzenski, Georg. "Some Aspects of Italian Quattrocento Sculpture in the National Gallery." Gazette des Beaux-Arts 6th series, 24 (November 1943): 292 fig. 8 (detail), 292-293.
- Duveen Brothers, Inc. Duveen Sculpture in Public Collections of America: A Catalog Raisonné with illustrations of Italian Renaissance Sculptures by the Great Masters which have passed through the House of Duveen. New York, 1944: figs. 95-101.
- Frankfurter, Alfred M. The Kress Collection in the National Gallery. New York, 1944: 12, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1945 (reprinted 1947, 1949): 181, repro.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Samuel H. Kress Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1959: 399, repro.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 170
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 150, repro.
- Middeldorf, Ulrich. Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools XIV-XIX Century. London, 1976: 22.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 626, no. 969, repro.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 211, repro.
- Langhanke, Birgit. Die Madonnenreliefs im Werk von Antonio Rossellino. Ph.D. diss. Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich, 2013: 100, 178, 206, 241-250, 257, 365-6, repro. 168, fig. 74.