Count Mastiani, Florence. Charles Fairfax Murray [1849-1919], London and Florence. Andrea di Robilant, Venice; (his sale, Galleria Bellini, Florence, 22-27 May 1933, no. 30, as by Andrea Verrochio); probably purchased by (Count Alessandro Contini Bonacossi, Florence); purchased July 1934 by the Samuel H. Kress Foundation, New York; gift 1939 to NGA.
- Sculpture of the Italian Renaissance, A.S. Drey Galleries, New York, 1935, no. 16, as by Andrea del Verrocchio.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 238, no. A-37, as by Verrocchio.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 254, repro. 238, as by Verrocchio.
- Swarzenski, Georg. "Some Aspects of Italian Quattrocento Sculpture in the National Gallery." Gazette des Beaux-Arts 6th series, 24 (November 1943): 297 fig. 12, 298.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 173, as by Verrocchio.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 153, repro., as by Verrocchio.
- Middeldorf, Ulrich. Sculptures from the Samuel H. Kress Collection: European Schools XIV-XIX Century. London, 1976: 41.
- Sculpture: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1994: 84, repro.
- Pisani, Linda. "Maestro di Pio II (?). 21. Madonna col Bambino." In Andrea De Marchi and Gabriele Fattorini, eds. La collezione Salini: Addenda Pittura e scultura (secoli XIV-XVI). Vol. 3 of 4 vols. Florence, 2015: 174, as a late work.