upper center in Virgin's halo: AVE MARIA GRATIA PLENA DO[MINVS TECVM] (Hail, Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee; from Luke 1:28)
Anonymous collection or dealer, Italy; acquired in the late 19th century by Edward Steinkopff [1837-1906], Lydhurst, Waringlid, Haywards Heath, Sussex; by inheritance to his daughter, Mary Margaret Steinkopff Stewart-Mackenzie [later Baroness Seaforth, d. 1933], Brahan Castle, Highland, Scotland. family of the barons of Castelmuro, by 1935; (Robert Frank, Ltd., London); (Rudolf Heinemann [Pinakos, Inc], Lugano) half share with (M. Knoedler & Co., New York and London); purchased 30 December 1936 by The A.W. Mellon Educational and Charitable Trust, Pittsburgh; gift 1937 to NGA.
- Museo Navale, Milan, 1935.
- Cortissoz, Royal. An Introduction to the Mellon Collection. Boston, 1937: repro. 2.
- Preliminary Catalogue of Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1941: 5, no. 5, as by Fra Angelico.
- Book of Illustrations. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1942: 239, repro. 57, as by Fra Angelico.
- Cairns, Huntington, and John Walker, eds. Masterpieces of Painting from the National Gallery of Art. New York, 1944: 22, color repro., as by Fra Angelico.
- Paintings and Sculpture from the Mellon Collection. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1949 (reprinted 1953 and 1958): 15, repro., as by Fra Angelico.
- Einstein, Lewis. Looking at Italian Pictures in the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 1951: 33, repro. 31, as by Fra Angelico.
- Summary Catalogue of European Paintings and Sculpture. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1965: 8.
- National Gallery of Art. European Paintings and Sculpture, Illustrations. Washington, 1968: 1, repro.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Summary Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1975: 12, repro.
- Shapley, Fern Rusk. Catalogue of the Italian Paintings. 2 vols. Washington, 1979: 1:13-14; 2:pl. 8, as Attributed to Fra Angelico.
- Walker, John. National Gallery of Art, Washington. Rev. ed. New York, 1984: 86, no. 41, color repro., as by Fra Angelico.
- European Paintings: An Illustrated Catalogue. National Gallery of Art, Washington, 1985: 19, repro.
- Boskovits, Miklós, David Alan Brown, et al. Italian Paintings of the Fifteenth Century. The Systematic Catalogue of the National Gallery of Art. Washington, 2003: 9-13, color repro.